Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Summer Snow Day

Yesterday I felt like I had been transported back in time. I was once again 12 years old roaming a small Iowa town on bike in the blistering afternoon heat, eating candy and visiting the library. But wait, yesterday was a Wednesday, why was I biking around town in the afternoon? Well, I had the summer version of a snow day, a rain day. Or rather it was a flood day.

Here in central IA we had back to back torrential rains which landed on ground that has been saturated for the past 2 months. The result was flooding that exceeded the Floods of 1993 in some parts of central IA. (the Floods of 1993 are a bench mark for floods around here) So on Wednesday morning when I tried to make my way to work I discovered that the town I work in was practically an island the water was still rising. I was unable to find a way to work and by the time I had exhausted all possible routes I heard that there was only one non-flooded way out of town. I had already contacted my boss detailing my predicament and so I headed home before I became stranded. The traffic heading out of town was pretty intense for the cornfields of Iowa. I was in stop and go traffic for a good 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. It is times like that when I wish I wasn't driving a manual. I'm pretty sure my leg twitched for a 1/2 hr after I got home.

Since I had the day off I decided to frolic about and view the flooding in my own town. Fortunately my good friend S had the day off due to flooding as well and so we decided to 'explore' on bike. Unfortunately for us the weather was ridiculously hot and humid. The heat was good for drying up all of the water in town. Here are some of the pictures I took on the way into the downtown.





Did you know that tennis court tiles float? Apparently ours do.

After viewing the flooding we wandered around town and ended up at the library. I have lived in this town for a year but have never bothered to get a library card since the library in the town I work in is larger. I figured it was about time get a library card so when I went to ask what was needed to get a card I was asked a most surprising question. The librarian met my queries with a question of her own, "how old are you?" I thought this was a bit odd but answered and told the lady I was 23. the librarian said, "ok, because you have to be 14 to have a library card." Now what I want to know is, do I look like I might not even be 14 years old??? I know I have been mistaken to be younger than I am in the past but NEVER has anyone thought I was 10 or 11 years younger than I actually am. Goodness. It was rather funny especially since S was standing next to me. Usually she is the one who people think is younger due to her miniature stature :-) Apparently I not only felt like I had gone back in time to my 12 year old self, I looked like it too.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That is funny, maybe they assumed since you were with a person who looked under 14 that you were too, lol. (Just kidding S!) I can't believe the flooding videos and pictures I've seen. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    ....................
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete