Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Uninspired

I have been very uninspired so to speak about updating this blog. Life has been interesting I just don't know what to write about it, or I have just been to lazy to type much up.

This past weekend Scott's parents came to visit us which was lots of fun (and an added bonus was the apt got cleaned very well in anticipation of their visit. yay!). They took us to go see Cirque de la Symphony which is a orchestra concert with jugglers and aerialists. Pretty much awesome. I always enjoy the symphony on a cold winter evening but the addition of a little circus made it even more fun (and less stuffy).

Scott and I discovered an awesome Chinese resturant here which makes us so so so happy. We smiled the entire 1/2 hr drive home after supper last night. The food was that good. The best thing was we were able to request Chinese dishes that weren't on the menue and Scott hadn't eaten since China (and I had never eaten). The new (to me) dish we tried was called todou si. It is basically shredded potatoes stir fried with oil and vinager and some other sort of seasoning I couldn't make out as well as peppers (which weren't in our dish last night on account of the chef not being sure if we wanted them). The potatoes are slightly sour, lightly smoky, and still a tad crunchy (not mushy like hasbrowns). Sooooo yummy! We also had ma po dofu and Scott said it rivaled any he had while in China. The staff was super friendly too and the owner ran over to us on our way out to give us some deep fried nian gao which is apparently a dessert eaten during the Chinese New Year. It is a sticky glutinous rice paste (this was flavored with red bean) and deep fried in a light batter. So amazing! It was the first thing with red bean that I actually liked. We are planning on going back for Valentine's day. A special treat for both of us :) I will try to remember my camer next week so I can show pictures of this awesome food. It is our cheap trip to China :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Beats that place next to the Lighthouse anyday, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm Chinese Homestyle is still pretty good in my book. It is jsut different being from a more Taiwanese end and Hunan being from the Szechuan end :)

    ReplyDelete